Indianz.Com - Your Gaming Resource
URL:
http://www.indianz.com/IndianGaming/2013/026697.asp
California governor won't delay off-reservation gaming pact
Friday, August 2, 2013
Filed Under:
California
|
Compacts
More on:
bia
,
enterprise
,
igra
,
jerry brown
,
land-into-trust
,
north fork
,
off-reservation
,
two-part determination
Tweet
Rendering of the proposed Enterprise Rancheria casino. Photo
Enterprise Rancheria
.
California
Gov. Jerry Brown
(D) won't delay an off-reservation Class III gaming compact for the
Enterprise Rancheria
, a spokesperson said.
Brown negotiated the compact and agreed to the casino under the two-part determination provisions of the
Indian Gaming Regulatory Act
more than a year ago. The
Bureau of Indian Affairs
has already placed the casino site in trust.
But
Sen. Kevin DeLeon
(D) says Brown should not submit the compact to the Legislature until the state develops a policy on off-reservation gaming. A similar compact with the
North Fork Rancheria of Mono Indians
barely won approval late last month.
“There was a lot of heartburn,” DeLeon told The Los Angeles Times, referring to the North Fork deal. “Much of that was caused by the fact that we lack a coherent state policy on these types of issues.”
A spokesperson for Brown, however, said the governor won't delay the agreement.
Get the Story:
Senator asks Jerry Brown to slow down new casino deals
(The Los Angeles Times 8/2)
Signatures sought to place casino before voters
(The Sierra Star 7/30)
Related Stories:
Committee raises funds for anti-North Fork casino referendum
(07/26)
Robert Edwards: No casino dreams for Enterprise Rancheria
(06/25)