FROM THE ARCHIVE
Columbus parade approved
Facebook Twitter Email
OCTOBER 2, 2000

Saying they cannot limit citizens' First Amendment rights, the city of Denver wiil homor a permit for a Columbus Day parade, despite the fact that organizers backed out of an agreement with American Indian leaders and government officials.

The Sons of Italy-New Generation said they were backing out of the agreement last week. They had agreed to drop the name "Columbus" from the parade and said they would call it "March for Italian Pride."

But they changed their mind and the city said the agreement is void. The parade is scheduled for October 7.

Native American and Hispanic groups had promised not to protest the parade if the name was changed.

The Italian group said the city shouldn't have tried to prevent them from celebrating their traditions. There are several theories about the ethnic and racial origins of Christopher Columbus, some saying he was Jewish, not Italian.

Get the Story:
City OKs Columbus parade (The Denver Post 9/30)
Columbus parade gets go-ahead (The Denver Rocky Mountain News 9/30)

Related Stories:
Colorado group to keep Columbus name (The Talking Circle 9/29)

Stay Connected
Contact
Search
Most Read
News Archive
2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000

About This Page

You are enjoying stories from the Indianz.Com Archive, a collection dating back to 2000. Some outgoing links may no longer work due to age.

All stories are available for publishing via Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)