FROM THE ARCHIVE
Interior holding back security documents
Facebook Twitter Email
TUESDAY, APRIL 2, 2002

The Department of Interior has been withholding documents regarding the security of its information technology systems despite numerous requests from a federal court, according to correspondence made public in recent weeks.

On a number of occasions, the department and its attorneys have failed to turn over e-mail, memos and other records requested by a court appointed investigator. In one letter to a Department of Justice official, special master Alan Balaran, who has been looking into the issue for nearly a year, said only recently have relevant documents come into his possession.

"I am concerned that similarly responsive documents may have been withheld," he wrote on March 28.

Another letter reiterates a long-standing request for information about a move of the Bureau of Indian Affairs' computer networking center from New Mexico to suburban Washington, D.C. The highly controversial transfer, which department officials at the time pitched as the solution to its security vulnerabilities, occurred nearly two years ago but "copies of ALL" documents have yet to be produced, Balaran wrote the following day.

With the department still emerging from a court-induced computer shutdown, which enters its fourth month this week, Balaran's repeated pleas come a year after a former BIA computer official said computer systems housing the assets of 300,000 American Indians were rife with problems. "I don't like running a network that can be breached by a high school kid." Dom Nessi told Government Executive News on April 1.

By a number of accounts, many of the weaknesses have been addressed in some way or another. The department has been given permission to restart two computer systems needed to process $500 million in annual oil, gas, leasing, timber and other payments to individual Indian beneficiaries.

But Balaran's requests, which sound desperate at times and threatening at others, highlight a problem neither the Bush nor Clinton administrations have been able to overcome. Clinton officials were held in contempt for failing to produce documents relevant to the Indian trust class action and their successors don't appear to fare any better.

The issue has drawn the ire of the federal judge overseeing the debacle. U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth, who sanctioned the government last week for stalling on a different part of the case, has openly questioned the Interior's commitment, especially when compared to the Department of Treasury, whose response to a Congressional report on computer security was markedly different.

"They did seem to have the capability and ability to move very quickly," said Lamberth last month. "That doesn't seem to happen at the Interior."

Department officials did not return calls requesting comment on the delayed production of documents. Only recently have they acknowledged the inadequacy of their systems.

Last year, during the height of Balaran's investigation which led to the shutdown, the message was different as officials downplayed problems privately and publicly. In a June letter responding to a General Accounting Office audit, Bob Lamb, a senior budget official, said Congressional investigators needn't worry about weaknesses because most were already fixed.

Balaran was never told about the report or the letter.

Related Correspondence:
March 20 | March 25 | March 28 | March 29

Relevant Links:
Indian Trust, Department of Interior - http://www.doi.gov/indiantrust
Indian Trust: Cobell v. Norton - http://www.indiantrust.com
Trust Reform, NCAI - http://130.94.214.68/main/pages/
issues/other_issues/trust_reform.asp

Related Stories:
Key trust fund system being restarted (3/25)
Judge 'dumbfounded' with DOI (3/15)
Interior blames security on consultants (2/26)
DOI: We're writing checks (2/25)
Defense on security charge lacking (2/22)
BIA: Grazing checks in 'backlog' (2/22)
Judge says 'duped' by government (2/21)
Judge blasts Interior 'deception' (2/21)
NCAI President testifies on shutdown (2/21)
Contempt testimony concludes (2/21)
Judge says 'duped' by government (2/21)
Judge blasts Interior 'deception' (2/21)
NCAI President testifies on shutdown (2/21)
Contempt testimony concludes (2/21)
DOI: 'No idea' on royalty payments (2/21)
Royalty checks still not out (2/20)
Letter: Dom Nessi took my job (2/19)
email@nps.gov sputtering through (2/19)
No payments hurt Indian Country (2/14)
Griles has hope on contempt (2/13)
Norton concludes testimony (2/13)
Norton takes the stand in contempt (2/13)
Norton agrees to testify (2/12)
Norton set for trial testimony (2/12)
Audit finds more security holes (2/8)
Norton dodges questions on Internet shutdown (2/7)
McCaleb: From a donkey to Star Trek (2/6)
Navajo Nation distributing checks (2/6)
Interior security funds outlined (2/5)
Navajo Nation approves royalty funds (1/30)
Letter: Enough is enough! (1/30)
Gaming commission ignoring Norton (1/28)
BIA to start payment processing (1/25)
Interior turning on trust fund system (1/24)
Computer security finally a concern (1/23)
Indian trust seen in new light (1/23)
Interior shutdown has wide effects (1/21)
Norton told of security problems (1/18)
Interior's weaknesses not unique (1/17)
Norton effort 'too little, too late' (1/16)
Interior shutdown still unresolved (1/16)
Norton notes 'challenge' of daily work (1/15)
McCaleb tries to explain computer shutdown (1/11)
Interior waited weeks on trust fund shutdown (1/9)
Order on trust fund payments sought (1/8)
Debate continues over trust fund shutdown (1/7)
Speedy trust fund payments sought (1/7)
Interior says working on shutdown (1/7)
Little hope for trust fund payments (1/4)
Computer security charge stands as checks delayed (12/21)
Checks to Great Lakes region delayed (12/20)
For BIA, a working holiday (12/19)
Taking lead on trust reform proves tough (12/19)
Baucus: Delay in checks 'unacceptable' (12/19)
Judge orders Interior reconnect (12/18)
Interior shutdown was 'overreaction' (12/18)
'Not be a very bright Christmas' (12/18)
Cost of Interior shutdown not known (12/17)
Interior computer agreement dropped (12/14)
Interior computer order finalized (12/13)
Editorial: Still ripping off Indians (12/12)
Griles in charge of IT reform (12/11)
Floods more important than Indians (12/10)
Judge holds security hearing (12/8)
DOI Shutdown: 'We're Hurting Tribes' (12/7)
From the top, a gamble in trust (12/7)
Norton acknowledges Internet problems (12/7)
'We're in the Dark' (12/7)
Judge orders Interior to cut Internet access (12/6)
Security contempt charge added (12/6)
Transcript of Dec. 5 trust fund hearing (12/6)
Interior doesn't understand court order (12/6)
Judge cuts trust fund access(12/5)
Report reveals attacks on tribal, Indian trust (12/5)
No Trust: Hacking the Department of Interior (12/5)
Judge holding secret hearings (12/4)
New: Security report released (12/4)

Stay Connected
Contact
Search
Most Read
News Archive
2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000

About This Page

You are enjoying stories from the Indianz.Com Archive, a collection dating back to 2000. Some outgoing links may no longer work due to age.

All stories are available for publishing via Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)