Moot
Elder

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just stumbled across Jesse Cooday.

http://cooday8.tripod.com/alaska.htm

I love this picture.

Childhood photo of Latseen Benson with his mother Diane who worked on the on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. "Latseen" means "strength of mind, body and spirit" in Tlingit.

I think of *strong* women I have known: my Grandmother, who dealt with being a widow, with 7 children, & poverty. My Ma, who dealt with adversity. Hispanic women, one who is in her early 60's, & works two jobs, pays the bills, & I see her in town with her Grandchildren. Josephina, who came to the U.S. illegally. Amalia, who came here from Mexico at age 14, had never had a bath in a bathtub until she hit the States, & whose Mother cooked in a clay oven in the yard in Mexico. After they moved to Tx. Amalia's Mother had her family build her a clay oven in her backyard. I saw Amalia, do the work of two persons, when she was only about 19 yrs. old, give her parents money to help her younger brothers and sisters, buy a car, & start buying a house.

When a woman,or person is *strong*, I don't think it's 100% strength, but strength & *weakness* mixed, but being strong anyway.

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  11:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bump for strong Indian women.
Go to Top of Page

arawakmix
Elder

7282 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  11:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

yeah
Go to Top of Page

buzzy
Elder

1215 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  04:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good topic!

The first woman that comes to mind will always & forever be my mother ~ the strongest woman, Indian or otherwise, that I know; irregardless of the fact that she is my mother, no lie, though it does help. She embodies everything a great lady should be ~ pure, moralisitic, woman of high values & morals, loving, decent, S-T-R-O-N-G, independent, reliable, responsible, disciplined, hardworker, classy, sophisticated, and the list goes on & on & on...

Here's a pic I took of her & my 9 yr. old baby niece at Boeing's Museum of History last Spring:

Peace, Nadine
Go to Top of Page

earthw7
Elder

Reunion Island
27577 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit earthw7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A strong woman would be my grandma, she raised her own cattle, cook at the school, made all her kids clothes, when we need her she took as in and raised us all my six brothers and sisters. She supported me and encourage me to go to school. I graduate she stood so proud. She worked all her life, retired at the age 82 years old and died at 83. I sure miss her and her guildence.

My Grandma Alice and my Aunt Marlene

“I have not much to tell you except to help understand this earth on which you live. If a man is to succeed in the hunt or the warpath, he must not be governed by his inclination, but by understanding the ways of animals and of his natural surroundings, gained through close observation.”
Tatanka Ohitika—Brave Buffalo,

Edited by - earthw7 on 12/28/2006 11:10:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

cooday
Dissident

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  1:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cooday's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gunalchéesh (Thank you) Moot and Everyone :-)

We have Added Honoring Strong Women from Indianz.Com Message Board to our webpage ...

Tlingit National Anthem, Alaska Natives and Native Americans online site.

With the Childhood photo of Latseen Benson with his mother Diane who worked on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline.

Also I want to honor all our Strong Tlingit and Haida women from the communities of Seet Kah (Petersburg), Kaachxana -aakw (Wrangell), Deishu (Haines), Teinaa Geey (Tenakee Springs), and Kichxaan (Ketchikan). Who are fighting for Alaska's Landless Tlingit and Haida - http://cooday8.tripod.com/landless-tlingits.htm

Jan 24, 2007... In memoriam Maybelle Silva from Seet kah (Petersburg) Alaska, one of our Strong Latseen Woman.

Jan 30, 2007 ... thank you for helping with In memoriam Maybelle Silva posting Derek Lopez son of the late kashtoowaash eesh (Mike Lopez)

Can You Hear the Taku Wind ... Just Wannabe ... Shoowee ka' & the Ravens (Jesse Cooday) on MySpace Music
http://www.myspace.com/shooweeka

Best,
Jesse Cooday (Shoowee ka')

Shoowee ka'

Edited by - cooday on 01/31/2007 2:08:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  3:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was really nice of Jesse Cooday to stop by and make this thread a link on their page. When visiting the webpage referenced it was a pleasant surprise to find this:

Flanked by a Native Veterans Honor Guard from Southeast Alaska, Diane Benson, the Democratic nominee for the Alaska's lone U.S. House seat, addresses the delegates at the Alaska Federation of Natives Convention in Anchorage on Oct 27th.

Thank you cooday for posting your information. Mvto
Go to Top of Page

Moot
Elder

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  11:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
buzzy/Nadine, and earth7 thank you for sharing.

Your words and pictures are beautiful.

Thank you, Mr. Jesse Cooday.
Go to Top of Page

Keenhmah
Elder

USA
10294 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  12:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aho to the strong Red women on this Turtle Island. Stay healthy and keep on making loved ones warm. We are the backbone of the Indigenous nations. Life is hard but life goes on.

Peace to Native women near and far.

Go to Top of Page

Tso-i-De
Elder

US
23039 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  01:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buzzy

Good topic!

The first woman that comes to mind will always & forever be my mother ~ the strongest woman, Indian or otherwise, that I know; irregardless of the fact that she is my mother, no lie, though it does help. She embodies everything a great lady should be ~ pure, moralisitic, woman of high values & morals, loving, decent, S-T-R-O-N-G, independent, reliable, responsible, disciplined, hardworker, classy, sophisticated, and the list goes on & on & on...

Here's a pic I took of her & my 9 yr. old baby niece at Boeing's Museum of History last Spring:

Peace, Nadine

DANG! looks like a B-50 bomber there. they were rare.

we had'ta polish one in tech school
Go to Top of Page

Magidel
Tribal Chair

638 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  07:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you load pictures on here?
Go to Top of Page

Creeation
Tribal Council Member

Canada
207 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  2:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my mom...the strongest, kindest, most compassionate, beautiful, and loving woman I know...

me and her Christmas day

Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor - Anne Lamott

Edited by - Creeation on 12/29/2006 2:55:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  5:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Creeation, can't tell who's the mama and who is you, look like sisters. lol

STRONG MOTHERS RULE!!!!

Edited by - HomeGrown on 12/29/2006 5:05:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

buzzy
Elder

1215 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  5:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magidel, first you need to download your pics to your computer, then find a site to host them (I recommend the excellent free site http://photobucket.com). Once that's accomplished, all's you need to do is select the pic(s) you wish to post, click on GENERATE HTML AND IMG CODE, scroll down to IMG IMAGES FOR MESSAGE BOARDS & highlight this area by clicking on the right side of your mouse, then simultaneously holding down both your CTRL & C keys. Finally, go back to this message board, click on POST NEW REPLY, then simultaneously hold down both your CTRL & V keys. Tada, all done!

Creeation, I love it when people honor their moms first & foremost, speaks volumes! Also, it says a lot about the brave poster, who isn't afraid to post pics of themselves or their families.

Peace, Nadine (:^)
Go to Top of Page

Creeation
Tribal Council Member

Canada
207 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  5:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heehee...i'm the one on the left :)

thanks Nadine...i've got nothing to hide

Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor - Anne Lamott
Go to Top of Page

Magidel
Tribal Chair

638 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  02:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you Nadine.

This is my mom telling it like it is on her 76th birthday. She's real big on talking with her hands.
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  1:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magidel

Thank you Nadine.

This is my mom telling it like it is on her 76th birthday. She's real big on talking with her hands.

awww what happened? Wish I had some pics of my grandma I could share with you all. That was one tough ole bird.
Go to Top of Page

Magidel
Tribal Chair

638 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  10:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's alive and well, HomeGrown. Still talking with her hands and telling us what to do. She's extremely spirited.

We rightly honor those strong women who raised us.
Go to Top of Page

LeoSpryCat
Elder

USA
3974 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  06:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's to all strong women; past, present, and future. Without your
feminine love and your feminine strength, where would any of us be.

Hi (warm smile)..Irish Multiethnic North American here..
It is often hard to stay grateful..yet, we do find a way..
Yes, no matter how rough life may sometimes become,
we have so much for which to be grateful, don't we?___
___Leo Y."Ireland" Abdulmalik (Uncle Leo)
Go to Top of Page

speetlum
Elder

Canada
3850 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  7:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The strongest women I know is my Mother. She is the greatest influence for me growing up and today. She is a tiny woman, barely standing 5 feet tall, but don't let her size fool you.

She is a survivor. She went to Kamloops Indian Residential School & she is in the lawsuit.

I love my Mom.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  3:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a picture of my Great Aunt (age 88) and my Mom, who also is a survivor of the BIA Boarding School system. Both are strong women, hope it's not too blurry:

They are holding a newspaper article about the 110th birthday of my mom's grandfather.

Edited by - HomeGrown on 01/24/2007 9:12:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Heron Gal
Dissident

60 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  12:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeoSpryCat

Here's to all strong women; past, present, and future. Without your
feminine love and your feminine strength, where would any of us be.

So true Leo!
Go to Top of Page

buzzy
Elder

1215 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  02:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Props to all the strong Indian women that have posted pics of their beloved mothers, in this way you honor them, and yourself.

Magidel, sorry that your pics aren't showing up, but I saw them before they went off, and I have to say your mom looks just like Dr. Yeagley's wonderful mother, no lie.
Go to Top of Page

Magidel
Tribal Chair

638 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  11:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Okay.
Go to Top of Page

buzzy
Elder

1215 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  12:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, looks just like Dr. Yeagley's late mother, IMHO of course.

This topic reminds me of what Jackie O. said once, about how a woman can do many things in her life, but if she didn't raise her kids right, she's a failure. And it's easy to see those raised right, as they come with respect, manners, bravery and wisdom. No running off at the mouth & generally acting low-life/ghetto (bad reflection on parenting).

Peace, Nadine
Go to Top of Page

fred
Tribal Chair

USA
732 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Mizuo Peck from the film "Night at the Museum"
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I took my great aunt and mom's pic off, it really was too blurry to see it clearly. They are still top notch strong Indian women. Talk about a hard life, they both had them and are still going strong. I love them soooooo much.

I like seeing everyone's pictures here, thanks for that people. Mvto.
Go to Top of Page

ndnadonis
Elder

2149 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moot

I just stumbled across Jesse Cooday.

I love this picture.

Childhood photo of Latseen Benson with his mother Diane who worked on the on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. "Latseen" means "strength of mind, body and spirit" in Tlingit.

I think of *strong* women I have known: my Grandmother, who dealt with being a widow, with 7 children, & poverty. My Ma, who dealt with adversity. Hispanic women, one who is in her early 60's, & works two jobs, pays the bills, & I see her in town with her Grandchildren. Josephina, who came to the U.S. illegally. Amalia, who came here from Mexico at age 14, had never had a bath in a bathtub until she hit the States, & whose Mother cooked in a clay oven in the yard in Mexico. After they moved to Tx. Amalia's Mother had her family build her a clay oven in her backyard. I saw Amalia, do the work of two persons, when she was only about 19 yrs. old, give her parents money to help her younger brothers and sisters, buy a car, & start buying a house.

When a woman,or person is *strong*, I don't think it's 100% strength, but strength & *weakness* mixed, but being strong anyway.

Its a fact that these days women lead the way in most Indian causes....

L

What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?
Go to Top of Page

cooday
Dissident

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  7:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cooday's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HomeGrown

Sorry I took my great aunt and mom's pic off, it really was too blurry to see it clearly. They are still top notch strong Indian women. Talk about a hard life, they both had them and are still going strong. I love them soooooo much.

I like seeing everyone's pictures here, thanks for that people. Mvto.

Hi HomeGrown ... My family in Alaska ask for you to reconsider and put back up your picture of your great aunt and mom. Its alright if they are blurry. They are helping to inspire our families in Alaska and families everywhere. Put them back up and ride with us. Your great aunt and mom help us all and give us all Strength and Courage in a time of War. Lets stick together. All Nations riding together with our Strong Latseen Women.

I see you put your great aunt and mom back up Homegrown. Gunalchéesh (Thank you)

Jan 24, 2007... In memoriam Maybel Silva from Seet kah (Petersburg) Alaska, one of our Strong Latseen Woman.

HomeGrown I used photoshop to see if I can help you with your great aunt and mom. Sharpened and retouched it up a little bit.

I see the retouched photo is up now. Its a pleasure to help you, your great aunt and mom :-)

Shoowee ka'

Edited by - cooday on 01/24/2007 10:19:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Cooday.

Awww thanks for that touch up Cooday. Mvto!!!

Edited by - HomeGrown on 01/24/2007 8:59:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

HomeGrown
Elder

USA
11588 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  9:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit HomeGrown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Done! Thanks again cooday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000