POSITION: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)/Finance Department
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
SALARY: Negotiable + Annual & Sick Leave
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
Human Resource Dept.
OPENING DATE: March 04, 2014 | CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for the overall management of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's financial affairs and is responsible for the Tribes financial planning and accounting practices as well as its relationship with lending institutions, government entities, funding agencies and the financial community. The Chief Financial Officer will have direct supervision of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribes Finance Department to ensure fiscal responsibilities are conducted in accordance with the SRST Financial policies and procedures, Title XVIII -Tribal Employees, SRST Personnel Policy & Procedures, Title XXVII-Employee Code of Ethics and accounting principles.
SUPERVISION: The Chief Financial Officer will be under the direct supervision of the Chairman, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, who will provide direction and conduct performance evaluations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for the enforcement of effective financial controls for the Standing Rock
2. Responsible to communicate and work closely with the Chairman, to forecast, plan, and budget all revenue and funds of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.
3. Responsible to implement financial analysis tools to evaluate Standing Rock Sioux
Tribe ventures, special projects, programs and capital expenditures.
4. Responsible to determine economic goals and objectives for the Tribe and prepare reports that outline the current financial standing in the areas of income, expenses and revenue; based on past, present, and future commitments and obligations.
5. Oversees and directs treasury, budgeting, audit, tax, accounting, purchasing, real estate, long range forecasting, and insurance activities for the Tribe.
6. Directs the Controller in providing and directing procedures and computer application systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services.
7. Responsible for treasurer activities such as custodian of funds, securities, and assets of the Tribe. Apprise the Tribe of their financial position and issues periodic reports on the Tribes financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
8. Directs and analyzes studies of general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the Tribes policies and operations, Analyzes operational issues impacting the Tribe and its financial impact.
9. Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline, Continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
10. Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the
Tribe, Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operational needs, Be an advisor from the financial perspective on contracts,
11. Responsible for overall supervision, direction, guidance and evaluation of the Finance
Department staff to ensure duties, responsibilities and functions are performed
12. Responsible to coordinate monthly budget reviews and analysis of each department budgets and participate in contract monitoring of Tribal program operating budgets to ensure expenditures are allowable and recommend corrective action as needed,
13. Responsible to develop and implement safeguards of Tribal assets and assure accurate and timely recording of major property acquisitions and transactions,
14. Responsible to manage the accuracy and efficiency of day-to-day activities of accounts payable such as; check disbursements and processing invoice/bill payments,
15. Responsible for monitoring and evaluating the storage and retrieval system of tribal fiscal records and financial reports to ensure efficient accessibility and determine level of protection for financial information,
16. Responsible to oversee the payroll functions, review payrolls, employer 401 (k) contributions and recommend upgrades or changes in processes and systems to increase efficiency,
17. Responsible to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local applicable taxes imposed and assist in tax-return preparations including form 1099 entries,
18. Responsible for maintaining sound relationships with commercial banking and lending institutions and establishing contacts of resources within financial community
19. Responsible to provide reports to the Tribal Chairman, Tribal Council and standing committees,
20. Responsible to participate and serve on committees as appointed or assigned,
1. Must possess a Master's degree in Economics, Business Finance, Accounting or
Business Management with five (5) years of documented professional management and supervisory experience, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation preferred,
2. Must possess valid driver's license and appropriate insurance,
3. Must be highly professional with excellent customer service skills; maintain tact, courtesy, composure and flexibility when dealing with a variety of personalities,
4. Must possess a high level of understanding of the various interrelationships among the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows,
5. Must possess high-level mathematical, financial analyses and forecasting of income, funding sources and revenues,
6. Must possess excellent problem-solving skills and understanding of various transaction details,
7. Must possess ability to manage and track the various financial reporting schedules,
8. Must possess knowledge of corporate taxes and regulatory reporting requirements,
9. Must have excellent computer operation with working knowledge of Microsoft computer applications (Word, Excel, and Access) and accounting applications and software,
10. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
11. Must possess a strong work ethic, management and organizational skills with special attention to detail.
12. Must possess strong ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
13. Will be subject to background investigation.
1. Will be required to provide accurate and timely information to various parts of the Tribe.
2. Will be required to demonstrate a professional level of understanding of financial reporting.
3. Will be required to demonstrate effective time-management, analytical, organizational and follow-up skills.
4. Will be required to demonstrate strategic thinking and ability to examine and question assumptions with professional judgment.
5. Will be required to demonstrate meticulous attention to detail with ability to work concurrently on multiple tasks and under pressure in order to meet deadlines.
6. Will be required to be a highly effective presenter in order to explain complex financial concepts of the financial sector to boards, committees and Tribal Council.
7. Will be required to demonstrate leadership skills in a high volume, fast paced environment as well as collaborate with peers and staff.
8. Will be required to demonstrate unwavering ethical conduct, confidentiality and integrity and sign confidentiality statement.
SELECTED CANDIDATE(S) FOR STANDING ROCK SIOUX TRIBE POSITIONS ARE SUBJECT TO ALCOHOL AND DRUG TESTING. FAILURE TO ADHERE AND SUCCESSFULLY PASS THE ALCOHOL AND DRUG TESTING WILL BE CAUSE FOR REVOCATION OF JOB OFFER.
No Tribal housing is available. The position is located at the Finance Department, Standing Rock Tribal Service Center, Fort Yates, ND.
Applicants may submit their Tribal application to the Human Resource Department, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, P.O. Box D, Fort Yates, ND 58538.
ALL APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER 4:30 PM ON THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.