Assistant Tribal Historic Preservation OfficerFacebook Twitter Google+
Posted On: January 25, 2018
PECHANGA INDIAN RESERVATION
Temecula Band of Luiseño Mission Indians
P.O. Box 1477, Temecula, CA 92593
Telephone (951) 770-6000 Fax (951) 695-1778
ASSISTANT TRIBAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICER
The Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Tribal Historic Preservation Officer.
The Assistant Tribal Historic Preservation Officer works to protect the Tribe’s cultural and archeological resources from potential and actual impacts to their integrity, on and off the Reservation and Tribal lands. Duties will include preparing letters and requests, reviewing environmental and archaeological reports, meeting with lead agencies, filing project materials and documents, and assisting with various THPO office responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Review and analyze environmental documents, cultural resource reports, archeological data, and other documents pertaining to Tribal cultural resources protection.
• Oversight and involvement in daily contact with federal, state and local governments and agencies in regard to projects within the Tribal Ancestral Territory and on Reservation Lands.
• Draft comments for review and create official documents on behalf of the Tribe concerning development projects, land use projects, improvement projects, and any other projects as designated by the Director of Cultural Resource.
• Maintain databases for the Reservation and Tribal lands Historic Properties inventory.
• Conduct surveys and research necessary to keeping the inventory current.
• Review all documents pertaining to the development of Tribal Lands.
• Utilization of knowledge and experience working with Cultural Resource Protection laws, in particularly: Section 106 (National Historical Preservation Act), California AB (Assembly Bill) 52, California SB (Senate Bill) 18, and California Environment Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Quality Act (NEPA).
• Utilize your experience and understanding of Tribal history and culture to ensure that the impacts and influences on tribal sacred places and resources be considered in all phases of planning, growth and development occurring on, in and around Tribal and ancestral lands in order to preserve and protect the tribal Pechaángayam value system for our future generations.
• Must adhere to all policies and procedures of the Pechanga Tribal Government.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in the field of History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Social Sciences, or similar required.
• Minimum 2 years work experience in Cultural Resource Management or related field required.
• Must have ability to read maps, including experience with 3.5 minute topographic maps and Google Earth.
• Must have knowledge and experience working with Section 106 (National Historical Preservation Act), California AB (Assembly Bill) 52, California SB (Senate Bill) 18, and California Environment Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Quality Act (NEPA).
• Must have understanding of Tribal history and culture to ensure that the impacts and influences on tribal cultural resources and sacred places be considered in all phases of planning, growth and development occurring on, in and around Tribal and ancestral lands in order to preserve and protect the tribal Pechaángayam value system for our future generations.
• Experience and familiarity with archaeological procedures and reporting required.
• Experience working with governmental agencies and/or municipalities.
• Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Adobe Acrobat experience required.
• Excellent written communication required.
• Must be able to travel across rough, uneven or rocky surface when conducting field inspections or performing survey work.
• Must maintain confidentiality of sensitive and protected Tribal information.
• Must possess a valid U.S. Driver’s license with proof of insurance at time of hire and a Class C California Driver License within 90 days of employment.
• This position must comply with the Pechanga Tribal Government’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy. This includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident or injury, and random testing.
• Must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.
For complete Job Announcement and application go to: WWW.PECHANGA-NSN.GOV. Send resume and application to HR@PECHANGA-NSN.GOV , fax to 951-695-1778 or mail to P.O. Box 1477, Temecula, CA 92593.
The Pechanga Tribal Government will at all times and for all positions give hiring, transfer and promotion preference to qualified applicants in the following order: 1) Pechanga Band of Luiseño Mission Indians Members; 2) Pechanga Band of Luiseño Mission Indian Member Spouses; 3) Other American Indians; and 4) all others.