Associate General CounselFacebook Twitter Google+
Posted On: February 13, 2018
PECHANGA INDIAN RESERVATION
Associate General Counsel
The Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians is accepting applications for the position of Associate General Counsel.
The Associate General Counsel will work in the Office of the General Counsel under the direct supervision of the General Counsel for the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians. The Associate General Counsel will work with the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel to provide legal services, representation and advice on legal issues confronting the Tribal Government, its entities and enterprises; provide guidance and assistance to Tribal Government departments; and provide limited service to tribal members in matters relating to tribal status.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Must possess Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
• Must be a Member of the California state Bar and licensed to practice law in the state of California.
• Must have a minimum of 3-5 years experience in all aspects of American Indian law, with knowledge and experience in employment law, Intellectual Property, Indian Child Welfare Act, gaming law, contracts and litigation. Knowledge and experience in environmental and natural resources law.
• Tribal, State and Federal experience dealing with Tribal Cultural/Sacred Site protection issues.
• Ability to conduct legal and general research that is accurate and thorough.
• Ability to provide accurate, useful, and understandable information and reliable legal advice.
• Excellent capacity to organize and establish priorities.
• Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and meet firm deadlines.
• Strong written and oral advocacy skills required.
• This position must comply with the Pechanga Tribal Government’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy. This includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident or injury, and random testing.
• Must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Must have the ability to work closely with the Tribal Council, General Counsel and department staff on matters affecting the Tribe or any of its entities or departments.
• Must have good written and verbal communication skills and excellent ability to advocate and persuade.
• Must have the ability to analyze and apply legal principles, facts, evidence and precedents to legal problems.
• Must possess good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work in a supportive and professional manner with Tribal Council, other attorneys, and support staff.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Pechanga community, Tribal Council, Tribal department staff, committee members and other parties.
• Thorough knowledge of and commitment to professional ethics standards, particularly those rules that relate to the representation of governments and other organizations.
• Must have proficiency in legal research techniques, good electronic and library research skills, and good knowledge of other legal resources.
• Must have the ability to be persuasive and tactful in controversial situations.
The Pechanga Band offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for all full-time employees. Benefits include the following:
• Retirement - 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
• Health & Wellness Coverage - Medical, dental and vision coverage
• Life and Long Term Disability - $25,000 employer paid life and Long Term Disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts – Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
• Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
• Supplemental Coverage – Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life, and Hospital Confinement
• Legal Shield and Identity Shield
• Pet Insurance
• Education Reimbursement Opportunities – For pre-approved specific, job related education
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Face-to-face counseling, Legal assistance, Financial assistance, ID recovery, Tobacco cessation, Dependent care and Daily living resources, and Crisis consultation
Hiring Preference: The Pechanga Tribal Government is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with federal law, the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians applies Indian preference in employment. It is the policy of the Pechanga Tribal Government to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified applicants in the following order: 1) Pechanga Tribal Members; 2) Pechanga Tribal Member Spouses; 3) non-member American Indians. At-Will Employment: Employment with the Pechanga Tribal Government is at-will and can be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, either at the option of the employee or the Pechanga Tribal Government. Drug Testing: The Pechanga Tribal Government is a drug-free workplace. All employees are subject to drug testing. Background Investigation: All candidates and employees may be subject to a background investigation.
Temecula Band of Luiseño Mission Indians
P.O. Box 1477, Temecula, CA 92593
Telephone (951) 770-6000 Fax (951) 695-1778