Thunder Valley Community Development Corporation - Executive Director Position OpeningFacebook Twitter Google+ Email
Posted: February 28, 2018
Thunder Valley CDC Mission
Empowering Lakota Youth and families to improve the health, culture, and environment of our communities, through the healing and strengthening of cultural identity.
Thunder Valley CDC Overview
Organization was established in 2007 and has grown to nine interconnected Initiatives, to include: the Regenerative Community Initiative, Housing and Homeownership, a Workforce Development Program, Social Enterprise, Food Sovereignty, the Lakota Language Initiative, Youth Leadership Development, Regional Equity, and an Arts and Culture Initiative. Thunder Valley CDC employs around 50 full-time employees and 50+ part-time, temporary, and contract employees throughout the year, and has an annual operating budget of approximately 5 million dollars.
The Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Organization’s staff, programs, expansion and execution of its mission. This position requires constant contact, collaboration and supervision of the Organizations departments, programs and directors. The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors of the Organization and will directly supervise the Deputy Director and the Leadership Team, including the Director of Advancement, Director of Finance, and Director of Operations. The Executive Director will have primary responsibility for assuring the Organization has an appropriate budget and for the fundraising activities. The Executive Director will act as the primary Organizational representative, ensuring the organization's image is active, visible, and broadening through a variety of means, to include social media, presentations, donor outreach, partner building, and community engagement.
TVCDC Board of Directors
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample (2-5 pages), and media or communications samples (audio or video interview, published writing/quotes, etc…) to email@example.com. In the subject line include Executive Director.
Successful applicants can expect to commit time to multiple interviews and a multi-day site visit in the spring of 2018.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation: $75,000 to $95,000 depending on experience
Type of Employment: Full time, Salaried/Exempt
Employment Location: Porcupine, SD with extensive national and international travel expected (55% local, 45% out of state)
Benefits: Health Insurance- Employee premium paid by TVCDC
Dental Insurance- Employee premium paid by TVCDC
Vision & Hearing Insurance- Employee premium paid by TVCDC
Simple IRA with up to a 3% match from TVCDC
Accrued Paid Time Off up to 160 hours per year
12 Annual Paid Holidays
Paid time off during inclement weather office closures
Negotiable relocation assistance
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
● Actively engage the Organization’s Board, employees and volunteers to ensure the Organization’s mission is being accomplished.
● Ensure the Organization has effective systems to track scaling progress.
● Regularly evaluate organization and ensure open communication and transparency with the Board of Directors, staff, partners, and other stakeholders as necessary.
● Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion while simultaneously retiring the Organization’s debt.
● Manage relationships with Philanthropic and Federal Partners.
● Track national trends to ensure the organization stays relevant on a national scale.
● Develop new opportunities through the growth of external prominence and presence.
● Speak on behalf of the Organization and represent the Organization at major functions and public venues.
● Directly manage Deputy Director and the Leadership Team, involvement in management of full organization staff as needed while remaining focused on a decentralized organization structure.
● Prioritize strategic planning to ensure organization's continued growth and mission alignment.
● Continue developing professionally, expanding knowledge/skills, and, when applicable, implementing learned strategies at Organization.
● Review and sign all organization contracts, delegating contract oversight and completion as necessary.
● Planning and oversight of annual budget.
● Oversight and decision making for the Regenerative Community Development.
● Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
● Deep-rooted knowledge of and alignment with the Organization's Mission.
● Excellent public speaking skills.
● Long-term commitment to community and Organization with the ability to speak knowledgeably about historical context, current operations, and future plans.
● Lakota Language fluency preferred.
● Dynamic visionary able to motivate both internal and external stakeholders.
● 5+ years creating, developing, and overseeing non-profit organization.
● 5+ years direct community engagement/involvement.
● Knowledgeable of local tribal government structure, community leaders/members, and culture.
● 5+ years direct involvement and oversight of both private and federal grants with proven record of success in grant execution, development, and maintaining funder relationships.
● Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector.
● 5+ years hands-on budget management, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
● Skilled in relationship building; adept in working with varied personalities.
● Adaptable, persistent, and positive.
● Organization has been built on principles of community organizing, social justice, indigenous self determination, and is focused on creating systems wide change. Executive Director must have experience and passion to continue working with similar priorities and focus.
TVCDC is committed to making reasonable accommodations in accordance to the ADA for disabled employees who meet job requirements for education background, employment experience, skills, licenses, essential job duties and function, and any other qualification that are job related. Employees must be able to perform tasks that are essential to the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The Executive Director may be required to use the computer for extensive periods of time. Occasional lifting of 15 to 20 lbs. Extended working hours and travel will be necessary.
Executive Director must have as a strong belief in the TVCDC mission and a desire to be a part of a growing and constantly evolving organization.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Place Your Ad
Contact Blue Earth Marketing to place your job ad or notice today!
The Suquamish Tribe - Human Services Director
Moapa Paiute - Tribal Police Chief & Sergeant
Muckleshoot Casino - TDP Sr. Specialist
Muckleshoot Casino - Workplace Skills & Resources Specialist
The Suquamish Tribe - Administration Department Executive Director
National Indian Education System - Legislative Director
National Indian Education Association - Educational Specialist
National Indian Education Association - Executive Administrative Assistant
Moapa Band of Paiutes - Senior Finance Officer
Twin Pine Casino & Hotel - Controller
Fredericks Peebles & Morgan LLP - Associate Attorney
Bishop Paiute Tribe - Job Openings
The Winnebago Comprehensive Healthcare System Position Openings
Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes - Director of Financial Management
Sonosky, Chambers Seeks 2019 Summer Associates
Intertribal Court of Southern California - Tribal Court Administrator
Native American Rights Fund Alaska Fellow
Contact Blue Earth Marketing, firstname.lastname@example.org, to place your job ad or notice