It’s official—my #NotInvisible Act & #SavannasAct were signed into law! The signing puts us on a path towards greater justice for thousands of Native women and girls who have been missing, trafficked, or taken far too soon. pic.twitter.com/7fpSMqNRem— Senator Cortez Masto (@SenCortezMasto) October 12, 2020
- Creates a point person in the Bureau of Indian Affairs to improve coordination of violent crime prevention across federal agencies.
- Establishes a commission law enforcement, tribal leaders, federal partners, service providers, and survivors to make recommendations to the Department of Interior and Department of Justice on combatting the epidemic of missing persons, murder, and trafficking of Native Americans and Alaska Natives.
- Requires law enforcement training on how to record the tribal enrollment information of victims in federal databases and mandates that the Attorney General consult with tribes on how to improve relevance and access to federal databases.
- Requires the creation of standardized, regionally-appropriate guidelines for responding to cases of missing or murdered American Indians and Alaska Natives, in consultation with tribes, which will include guidance on inter-jurisdictional cooperation among tribes and federal, state, and local law enforcement.
- Requires data on missing or murdered American Indians and Alaska Natives, and recommendations on how to improve data collection, to be included in an annual report to Congress.
Native America Calling: Native forensics: the science of justice
‘A pillar in the community’: Eileen Janis changed lives on Pine Ridge Reservation
Chuck Hoskin: Cherokee Nation holds U.S. to treaty promise
NAFOA: 5 Things You Need to Know this Week
Native America Calling: Leave Twitter? Or stay and fight?
Native America Calling: Native playlist with Northern Cree
Native America Calling: The importance of tribal museums
Harold Frazier: Nation-to-nation policy must be law of the land
VIDEO: White House Tribal Nations Summit Day 1
Native America Calling: Klamath River tribes praise dam removal momentum
Native Sun News Today: Tim Giago joins Native American Hall of Fame
Montana Free Press: Land swap in Crazy Mountains finally unveiled
Kaiser Health News: Blackfeet Nation joins lawsuit to protect COVID-19 mandates
MSU News: Grant helps tribes address transportation needs