Casino Stalker

Christian group against Menominee Nation off-reservation casino




Artist's rendering of the proposed Menominee Nation off-reservation casino. Image from Casino Kenosha

A Christian group is urging Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) to reject an off-reservation casino for the Menominee Nation.

Wisconsin Family Action says Walker should not even be considering the $810 million casino in Kenosha. The group said he previously promised he wouldn't agree to an expansion of gaming in the state.

"Walker appears to have abandoned his promise to Wisconsin voters not to approve a new casino if it would expand gambling in Wisconsin and has, in general, set aside the criteria he adamantly supported just a year ago," the group's president, Julaine Appling, said in a statement.

Walker originally planned to make a quick decision on the project after the Bureau of Indian Affairs approved it in September 2013. But, after repeated delays, he has given himself a deadline of February 19, 2015.

"The longer this issue drags on, the more we learn that disturbs us, Appling said. "The bottom line is Wisconsin and her best resource—families—don’t need another casino."

Get the Story:
Conservative group has strong words for Scott Walker on Kenosha casino proposal (The Madison Capital Times 12/9)

Bureau of Indian Affairs Documents:
Press Release | Fact Sheet: Menominee Nation Decision | Section 20 Determination: Menominee Nation Off-Reservation Casino

Related Stories:
Editorial: Say yes to Menominee Nation off-reservation casino (12/8)
Opinion: Time to reject Menominee Nation off-reservation casino (12/5)
Amended Forest County Potawatomi Tribe compact sent to BIA (12/4)