Casino Stalker

Menominee Nation pushes governor to change mind on casino


Artist's rendering of the proposed Menominee Nation off-reservation casino. Image from Casino Kenosha

The Menominee Nation continues to pressure Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) to change his mind on the tribe's off-reservation casino.

On January 23, Walker announced that he was refusing to concur with a two-part determination issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He said the $800 million off-reservation casino in Kenosha posed an economic risk for the state.

In a letter to Walker, Chairwoman Laurie Boivin disputed that assertion. In addition to generating revenues and jobs, she said the tribe will protect the state from any potential losses.

"The fact is that there are more than a billion reasons for you to approve the Kenosha project," Boivin wrote in the letter. "Don’t make a billion-dollar mistake without further review of the facts.”

Boivin also said she met with Assistant Secretary Kevin Washburn last week and said he would accept a change in decision on the project. The deadline is February 19 but Walker has already said he won't reconsider.

Get the Story:
Menominee to Walker: It’s not too late to change mind on Kenosha casino (The Kenosha News 2/5)
Menominee tribe extends purchase option for Dairyland Greyhound Park (The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 2/5)
Menominee again ask Walker to reconsider casino (Fox 11 News 2/4)

Bureau of Indian Affairs Documents:
Press Release | Fact Sheet: Menominee Nation Decision | Section 20 Determination: Menominee Nation Off-Reservation Casino

Related Stories:
Menominee Nation leader cried after governor killed casino bid (2/4)