Call it a battle of East vs. West as the Mohegan Tribe
dethroned the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians
to win USA Today's poll of best casinos in the United States.
The Mohegan Sun
in Connecticut secured the number one slot in the 10Best Readers Choice Travel Awards
for 2017. The Pechanga Resort and Casino
in California, on the other hand, fell to third place.
“We’re honored to have topped that list; it’s a testament to our whole team and how driven we are to provide the best possible entertainment and gaming attraction we can,” Ray Pineault, the president and general manager of Mohegan Sun, told FOX61.
But it wasn't all good news for the East Coast. The Mashantucket Pequot Tribal
fell from third to seventh place with its Foxwoods Resort Casino
, also in Connecticut.
Overall, the top 10 winners represented a big change from 2015, when the list was last published
. Back then, tribes took 5 of the slots -- this time, only 3 Indian gaming facilities made it.
The full 10Best list from USA Today follows:
- Mohegan Sun - Uncasville, Conn.
- Caesars Palace Las Vegas Hotel & Casino - Las Vegas
- Pechanga Resort & Casino - Temecula, Calif.
- L'Auberge Casino Resort - Lake Charles, La.
- Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa - Atlantic City
- Peppermill Resort Spa Casino - Reno
- Foxwoods Resort Casino - Mashantucket, Conn.
- The Cromwell Hotel - Las Vegas
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino - Sioux City, Iowa
- Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa - Las Vegas
Read More on the Story:
Readers rank Mohegan Sun #1 casino in the U.S
tribes sign new gaming agreements to account for new casino
(July 20, 2017)Tribes
celebrate as governor in Connecticut signs new casino bill into law
in Connecticut waiting on governor to sign bill for new casino
tribes welcome court decision favoring new casino law
(June 22, 2017)Connecticut
tribes heap praise on senior Trump administration official
(June 14, 2017)