Tribes weren't consulted about being removed from the Land Buy-Back Program for Tribal Nations
, The Huffington Post reports.
Last week, the Trump administration cut the number of tribes on the program schedule from around 70 to just 20. Tribes were told less than an hour before the Department of the Interior
issued a press release about the change, according to The Post.
“I think the most problematic part of this is that it only considers the interests of the department, and that was not the initial intent of the settlement,” Keith Harper, a citizen of the Cherokee Nation
who worked on the Cobell trust fund lawsuit
from its inception in 1996 through the settlement for $3.4 billion.
The Cherokee Nation was among those cut from the program. Kim Teehee, a former Obama administration official who now serves as her tribe's vice president of government relations, told The Post that there was no consultation prior to the July 31 announcement.
Officially, the department, even during the Obama era, never engaged in formal government-to-government consultation with tribes about the program. Three listening sessions
have been held and some tribes have worked with Interior to hold individualized meetings with their citizens.
Only about $540 million is left in the program. The Trump administration plans to focus on reservations with high levels of fractionation, including 12 where offers were already made during the Obama years. Of those, 5 happen to be based in Montana, the home state of Secretary Ryan Zinke
The Cobell settlement to the Cobell trust fund
included $1.9 billion for land consolidation. Through the program,
individual Indians receive offers for their fractional, or small, interests but
they are not required to accept. Any interests that are acquired are restored to
tribes, the original owners of the land.
The Obama administration expended more than $1.1 billion of the fund
through early January. Additional offers that went out before the announced
changes boosted the figure to about $1.2 billion.
The settlement authorizes Interior to take an administrative cut of 15 percent, or $285 million, to implement the program.
Read More on the Story:
A Hard-Fought Victory To Restore Tribal Land Faces New Threat In Trump Era
(The Huffington Post 8/4)
Federal Buy-Back Program Puts 326,000 Acres Back in Blackfeet Hands
(The Flathead Beacon 8/4)
Under Trump, tribal land ownership is not a priority
(High Country News 7/25)
Join the Conversation
administration moves in new direction with Cobell buy-back program
(July 31, 2017)Bad
River Band benefits from Land Buy-Back Program for Tribal Nations
Department sends out another $13.1M in Cobell buy-back offers
buy-back program keeps on rolling toward eventual end
(June 6, 2017) Colville
Tribes worried about future of Cobell buy-back program
(May 31, 2017) Yakama
Nation landowners weigh offers as Cobell buy-back winds down
(May 25, 2017)
administration ready to let Cobell program run out of funds
(May 24, 2017)
on two reservations in Nebraska receive Cobell buy-back offers
panel sets hearing on future of Cobell buy-back program
(May 16, 2017)
Nation landowners see $68M in Cobell buy-back offers
(April 24, 2017)Interior
Department makes 'final' transfer for Cobell scholarships
(April 13, 2017)
buy-back program on path to run out of funds under Trump
(March 30, 2017)