Indianz.Com > COVID-19 > Native American Journalists Association (NAJA)
https://wp.me/pbXgss-1ja
Posted: May 15, 2020

NAJA

Letter from the Board of Directors to members of the Native American Journalists Association

Dear Members,

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact our communities, jobs and lives, our thoughts and sympathies are with you. We hope you and your families are staying healthy and safe. 

At NAJA, we have continued to monitor both domestic and international efforts to save lives and protect communities from the coronavirus. We have also watched as our members have stepped up to cover the pandemic, the ways it is reshaping our lives, and the ways communities are working to protect themselves from both the virus and federal officials and policies that make COVID-19 even more deadly to our nations.

It’s in that spirit that we want to share with you how we’re working to support members during this time. 

Through our recent survey, we learned that challenges to personal and professional finances remain at the forefront of newsroom worries, as well as requests for assistance with logistics, emotional wellness, training and skills building and concern for how Indigenous communities are being covered by non-Indigenous journalists.

Read more here

NAJA extends annual memberships through 2021

Native American Journalists Association extends renewals through next year to support members during pandemic

OKLAHOMA CITY — In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Native American Journalists Association has waived annual dues for all members, including those recently expired and approaching expiration. 

Annual memberships previously renewed in 2020 will be extended to the next applicable year. 

NAJA will update the database over the next month and there is no action required by members to extend. Each member will automatically receive an extension notification with the new expiration date once their information has been updated. 

Members may still access their accounts and manually renew, donate or shop the online NAJA store anytime. NAJA also encourages members to review and update their profiles by logging into the database platform Wild Apricot using the email account associated with their membership.

Annual membership extensions are the first step in responding to the NAJA COVID-19 Membership Survey, which was launched to measure the impact of coronavirus in newsrooms across Indian Country.

Survey results and member feedback will continue to inform and support the organization’s next steps for COVID-19 relief. 

All respondents that complete the survey will be entered in a drawing to win a weekly $25 Amazon digital gift card and the winners will be announced every Friday at the end of each week in May.

According to the mission, NAJA will continue providing resources for member outlets and guidance for mainstream media covering Indigenous communities during the pandemic and beyond. 

For more information, contact NAJA Program Manager Sterling Cosper at: scosper@naja.com.

NAJA reschedules 2020 National Native Media Conference

Native American Journalists Association reschedules annual conference for 2021, extending all program deadlines due to COVID-19

OKLAHOMA CITY — In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Native American Journalists Association has postponed the 2020 National Native Media Conference until 2021. The decision to reschedule the annual conference was based on guidelines from the WHO, the CDC and tribal and state officials to ensure the safety of all. 

In a letter addressed to the membership, NAJA President Tristan Ahtone said the board appreciates the patience and understanding of members, attendees, sponsors and exhibitors as leadership considered this difficult decision. 

“Safety is our number one priority and we believe that waiting until next year to gather together and celebrate our work is the most responsible option to avoid potential outbreaks or additional strains on already stretched finances,” Ahtone said.    

NAJA will announce new conference dates soon and will maintain the partnership with the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, in co-hosting the rescheduled 2021 conference in Phoenix, Arizona. 

Membership and Elections
All current NAJA memberships will be extended for a year. Members who have already paid their annual dues through 2021 will automatically be extended through 2022.  

Annual membership extensions are the first step in responding to the NAJA COVID-19 Membership Survey, which will continue to inform and support the organization’s next steps for COVID-19 relief. The survey will remain open indefinitely for member feedback. All respondents that complete the survey will be entered in a drawing to win a weekly $25 Amazon digital gift card each Friday throughout the month of May.

Updated information on the 2020 NAJA Board of Directors election will be shared as soon as it becomes available.  

Native American Journalism Fellowship and Scholarships
Native American Journalism Fellowship applications are open through May 31, 2020. The NAJA Education Committee is considering options for hosting the student newsroom and encourages students to apply in order to be considered for the 2020 class. NAJA will announce updates on NAJF by June 1. 

NAJA will award 2020 NAJA-Facebook Journalism Project Scholarships. Applications are open through the extended deadline of May 31, 2020. 

Lodging at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix
NAJA will share updated information on the hotel room block at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix as soon as it becomes available for 2021. The discounted room rate remains $199 per night. Attendees with any existing reservations will receive automatic cancellation notifications for reserved dates in 2020. 

Conference Program Proposals
The call for National Native Media Conference proposals will be extended throughout 2021 to facilitate ideas, evolving COVID-19 coverage and best practices in Indigenous media through training and workshops to support and enhance the knowledge and skills of journalists covering Indian Country. Conference programming will focus sessions on covering the pandemic across Turtle Island.

Contact NAJA to discuss opportunities for branding, sponsored content, a presence in the 2021 National Native Media Expo and more. An updated 2021 sponsorship guide will be available soon. 

National Native Media Awards
NAJA is still accepting entries for the 2020 National Native Media Awards through the extended deadline of May 31. Entries will be submitted using the BetterBNC Media Awards Platform

Recipients may request direct shipping at cost and outlets and individuals will be invoiced according to the number of items in the shipment. NAJA will share additional information on awards disbursement as soon as it becomes available.

Mathison to host Finding Work in Journalism Amid COVID-19 webinar May 28

Mathison Diversity Access has set the Finding Work in Journalism Amid COVID-19 webinar for May 28, from 1-2 p.m. EST. The ever-evolving 24 hour news cycle, along with the 30 million filing for unemployment, leads us to an uncertain and uncharted time for journalists.

Hear from industry experts discuss the changing climate of journalism and tactful strategies that will impact your job search & career.

This webinar is for all experience levels and co-hosted by the Native American Journalists Association and Asian American Journalist Association.

Register and view the speakers here.

Report for America announces 2020-21 Indigenous affairs corps members

NAJA will train and mentor Indigenous affairs reporters in mainstream outlets across the U.S.

Report for America hired six Indigenous reporters and will support 18 total positions focused on Indigenous affairs in outlets across the U.S., as part of the 2020-2021 class.

The Native American Journalists Association’s partnership with RFA aims to strengthen local journalism in areas where Indigenous peoples play vital roles in the community. In 2019-2020, RFA had 10 corps members covering Indigenous affairs exclusively or through related beats. The partnership represents an unprecedented commitment to increasing local reporting for Indigenous communities in the U.S. 

By contributing to RFA’s mentorship program, NAJA will provide comprehensive support on training to address the critical need for journalism in Indigenous communities. RFA is also accepting applications to become an RFA mentor. View more information here

View more regarding the Indigenous affairs positions here

Freelance Investigative Reporters & Editors is accepting applications for stories, COVID & all

Freelance Investigative Reporters and Editors welcomes all investigative topics, but is giving special consideration to COVID-19 investigations, as long as the crisis continues. 

In addition to its reporting services, FIRE provides freelancers with standard grants of up to $12,500, to complete an investigation; and proposal grants of up to $2,500, to develop an initial story pitch.

View more here

2020 Native American Journalism Fellowship applications extended to May 31

The Native American Journalists Association (NAJA) is now accepting applications for the 2020 Native American Journalism Fellowship. Selected fellows will build their reporting skills. 

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NAJA has postponed the 2020 National Native Media Conference until 2021.

The NAJA Education Committee is reevaluating how and when it will offer the fellowship program and will announce updates by June 1. 

For more information and the application, click here.

NAJA Pathways Fellowship applications extended to May 31

Program geared for early-career professional membersThe Native American Journalists Association is accepting applications for the NAJA Pathways Fellowship, geared towards our early-career professional members who may still be finding their way into the industry.
This fellowship acts as an extension of our existing student programs, and provides fellows with training, mentorship, professional development, and networking to help identify their chosen professional path. 

Many but not all of NAJA Pathways fellows will be graduates of our other programs including the Native American Journalism Fellowship, College Chapters, NAJA Scholarships, or Project Mentors. 

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NAJA has postponed the 2020 National Native Media Conference until 2021. The NAJA Education Committee is reevaluating how and when it will offer the fellowship program and will announce updates by June 1. 

For more information about Pathways, click here.

Join the Conversation