Sen. Jon Tester (D-Montana), the chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, at a May 21, 2014, hearing. Photo from Flickr
The Senate Indian Affairs Committee holds a legislative hearing on Wednesday. Five bills affecting land-into-trust, mineral rights and water rights are on the agenda. They are:
• S. 2442, the Northern Cheyenne Lands Act. The bill requires the Interior Department to place land, mineral rights and important sites into trust for the Northern Cheyenne Tribe of Montana.The hearing takes place at 2:30pm in Room 628 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building. The witness list follows:
• S. 2465, the Albuquerque Indian School Land Transfer Act. The bill requires DOI to place land into trust for the 19 Pueblos of New Mexico.
• S.2479, the Moapa Band of Paiutes Land Conveyance Act. The bill The bill requires DOI to place land into trust for the Moapa Band of Paiute Indians in Nevada.
• S.2480, the Nevada Native Nations Land Act. The bill requires DOI to place land into trust for seven tribes.
• S. 2503, a bill to implement a water rights settlement for the Hualapai Tribe of Arizona.
•The Honorable John WalshCommittee Notices:
Senator-United States Senate •The Honorable Jeff Flake
Senator-United States Senate Panel 1
•Mr. Michael S. Black
Director, Bureau of Indian Affairs-U.S. Department of the Interior
•The Honorable Llevando Fisher
President-Northern Cheyenne Tribe
•The Honorable Aletha Tom
Chairwoman-Moapa Band of Paiute Indians
•The Honorable Arlan Melendez
Chairman-Reno-Sparks Indian Colony
•The Honorable Sherry J. Counts
•Mr. Michael Canfield
President and CEO-Indian Pueblos Marketing, Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
Legislative Hearing to receive testimony on the following bills (July 9, 2014) Related Stories:
Senate Committee on Indian Affairs plans four hearings in July (06/30)
Join the Conversation