Posted: August 30, 2018
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is publishing this Notice in accordance with the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA) and the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). The BLM gives notice that the Secretary of the Interior is establishing the Bears Ears National Monument Advisory Committee (BENM-MAC). This Notice is also seeking nominations for individuals to be considered as BENM-MAC members.
The BENM-MAC will provide information and advice regarding the development of the Management Plan and, as appropriate, management of the Monument to the Secretary of the Interior, through the Director of the BLM, and the Secretary of Agriculture through the Chief of the U.S. Forest Service (FS). Committee duties and responsibilities are solely advisory in nature.
The BENM-MAC will consist of 15 members to be appointed by the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture as follows:
(1) An elected official from San Juan County representing the County;
(2) A representative of State government;
(3) A representative with paleontological expertise;
(4) A representative with archaeological or historic expertise;
(5) A representative of the conservation community;
(6) A representative of livestock grazing permittees within the Monument;
(7) Two representatives of Tribal interests;
(8) Two representatives of developed outdoor recreation, off-highway vehicle users, or commercial recreation activities, including for example, commercial/charter or recreation fishing;
(9) A representative of dispersed recreational activities, including, for example, hunting and shooting sports;
(10) A representative of private landowners;
(11) A representative of local business owners; and,
(12) Two representatives of the public at large, including, for example, sportsmen and sportswomen communities.
Members will be appointed to staggered 3-year terms.