The headquarters of the Morongo Band of Mission Indians in Banning, California. Photo from Morongo Band
The Senate Indian Affairs Committee will hold a business meeting on Wednesday. Six bills are on the agenda. They follow:
• S.1419, the Native Language Immersion Student Achievement Act. The bill creates a grant program to support Native language immersion programs. The committee has not held a hearing on the bill during the 114th Congress but a similar version was considered in July 2014.The business meeting takes place at 2:30pm in Room 628 of the Senate Dirksen Office Building. It will be immediately followed by an oversight hearing on Indian energy. Committee Notice:
• S.1436, the Nevada Native Nations Land Act. The bill, which places land into trust for six Nevada tribes, was heard on October 5.
• S.1443, the Indian Employment, Training and Related Services Consolidation Act. The bill amends the Indian Employment, Training and Related Services Demonstration Act of 1992, commonly known as Public Law 477, to further tribal self-determination. The committee has not held a hearing on the bill this year but a similar version advanced in June 2014.
• S.1761, a bill to place land into trust for the Susanville Rancheria of California. The committee held a hearing on the bill on October 5.
• S.1822, a bill to place land into trust for the Tuolumne Band of Me-Wuk Indians in California. The committee held a hearing on the bill on October 5.
• H.R.387, the Economic Development Through Tribal Land Exchange Act. The bill resolves a land dispute affecting the Morongo Band of Mission Indians and places 41 acres in trust for the California tribe. The House passed the bill by a voice vote on July 13.
Business Meeting to Consider, S. 1419, S. 1436, S. 1443, S. 1761, S. 1822, H.R. 387 (October 21, 2015)
Join the Conversation