ph: 202 630 8439 fax: 202 318 2182
Advertise on Indianz.Com
Home > News > Headlines printer friendly version
BIA to publish replacement school construction list
Thursday, February 26, 2004
The Bureau of Indian Affairs is publishing a new replacement school construction priority list, assistant secretary Dave Anderson announced on Wednesday. The list determines which schools will receive federal funding. Based on need, the BIA is placing 14 facilities, including dormitories, on the list. The list was last updated by the BIA in January 2003. At the time, the list included 12 schools, including three facilities that were added by the Clinton administration in January 2001. In between that period, no changes were made to the list. The Bush administration, its fiscal year 2005 budget, is funding construction at five schools. But overall, the construction account is being cut by $65 million. Officials say the reason they did not ask for more funding was because they did not have a priority list. The new list is as follows:
1. Dilcon Community School, Winslow, Ariz.
2. Porcupine Day School, Porcupine, S.D.
3. Crown Point/T'isst'oozi'bi'olta Community School, Crownpoint, N.M.
4. Muckleshoot Tribal School, Auburn, Wash.
5. Dennehotso Borading School, Dennehotso, Ariz.
6. Circle of Life Survival School, White Earth, Minn.
7. Keams Canyon Elementary School, Chinle, Ariz.
8. Rough Rock Community School, Chinle, Ariz.
9. Crow Creek Elementary/Midle/High School, Stephen S.D.
10. Kaibeto Boarding Schol, Kaibeto, Ariz.
11. Blackfeet Dormitory, Blackfeet, Mont.
12. Beatrice Rafferty School, Perry, Maine
13. Little Singer Community School, Winslow, Ariz.
14. Cove Day School, Red Valley, Ariz. Relevant Links:
Office of Indian Education Programs, BIA - http://www.oiep.bia.edu
Indian School Report Cards, BIA - http://www.oiep.bia.edu/school_report_cards.htm Related Stories:
Tom Daschle: Leave no Indian child behind (2/25)
Senate panel shares criticism of Bush budget (02/12)
Tribal leaders pressing Congress on funding (02/11)
BIA programs barely survive White House test (02/10)
BIA budget staying the same under Bush request (2/3)
BIA Schools: Are Indian students being left behind? (01/26)
NCAI president uses speech to lobby for funding (01/22)
Copyright © 2000-2004 Indianz.Com
Arts & Entertainment |
Cobell Lawsuit |
Federal Recognition |
Indian Gaming |
Indian Trust |
Jack Abramoff Scandal |
Jobs & Notices |
Indianz.Com Terms of Service |
About Indianz.Com | Advertise on Indianz.Com Indianz.Com is a product of Noble Savage Media, LLC and Ho-Chunk, Inc.